- Each of us has the inherent ability, capacity and right to pursue psychological growth and development
- Just as one must exercise and eat right to reach their greatest physical potential, mental health work is required to reach one's potential for a peaceful and productive life
- The effectiveness of therapy depends to a large extent on the quality of the relationship between the client and therapist. In general, the better the rapport is between therapist and client, the better the outcome of therapy. Developing and maintaining a trusting, caring relationship with her client is top priority for Ms. Showell
- Confidentiality must be honored and maintained in order to create a safe and nurturing environment for the client - large, multi-therapist practices compromise confidentiality due to huge waiting rooms filled with fellow clients/members of the community... a solo private practice offers individualized, confidential attention - the private environment minimizing the chance your confidentiality is compromised
Her Approach: Personal Growth Psychotherapy
Personal growth psychotherapy difffers from traditional therapies in that traditionalists often focus on how present-day problems got started in childhood.
Even though the problem may have originated in childhood, present day problems have long since developed a life of their own, resulting in self-defeating thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.
The result is problems in self-esteem and relationships.
Ms. Showell's goal is to help her client identify, challenge, and ultimately change patterns and behaviors that are causing emotional distress.
Memberships and Certifications:
- Member of NASW (National Association of Social Workers)
- Professionally trained and contracted as an approved provider by Problem Gamblers Network Of West Virginia
- State licensed to practice in West Virginia